Thursday 25 January 2007

Getting Quite Excited ...

I have, since last May been TRYING to learn how to play the mbira. The mbira is a Zimbabwean musical instrument, that sounds amazing. Again I'm sorry no photo's yet but see this link for an idea of what it looks like.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbira

Well... why excited... because by this time next month, I will have had another lovely few days in Scotland with lots of other like-minded people and hopefully with some patience, (on my behalf as well as everyone else) I'll have learned a bit more. So thanks to Catherine for introducing me to it.

My favourite parts of these camps, is (apart from the learning) listening to the people who have been playing for years. There is nothing like hearing a group of fantastic musicians playing and singing. I really cannot describe how it sounds and feels, even now, months on from the last time I heard people all playing and singing together, it is still as fresh in my mind. Now, you can't say that about many things can you?

2 comments:

Angel Jem said...

A what? A mbira? But we don't need one, what we need is more music in the house.... Sorry, I'm getting confused with the old (very) joke about the chandelier in the church, "But vicar, we don't need it, nobody can spell it, nobody can play it and what we really need in the church is more light!" :)
It sounds fascinating, really.
On an unrelated note, I started blogging this year, too and I'm also resident in one of the fairest cities in the world aka Liverpool, and isn't it exciting when someone stops long enough to comment on your blog? I found you in a game of comment chase on Brocante home and I shall be back, sarah! Consider yourself warned! See you again! ;)

Angel Jem said...

PS; I can't escape from a bookshop without a little something either... much to my husband's disgust!