Tuesday 3 June 2008

Viva La Republique!

Well it's been an eventful few weeks since I last posted... lots of madness that we shall just have to gloss over, but last weekend, a community event overtook most things. For those that don't know, Liverpool has been awarded European Capital of Culture 2008. To that end, where I live in a small area called Garston, was one of the areas chosen to have it's own focal point. There has been a focus for a number of years on bringing art and all things cultural to Garston and we now have the Garston Cultural Embassy, designed by artist Michael Trainor.

The celebration on Saturday saw the arrival of the President and his weapon of mass attraction (don't be rude) to declare independence! There was a parade and local groups performing all led by a local pirate who with the help of some dodgy diamonds helped Garston in the 18th C!!!

So despite an attempted assasination attempt the new President was installed, promising no more parking fines or council tax for the citizens of Garston (thank you!) and told us of the large olive oil deposits that have been discovered underneath the Embassy (yippee - we are rich!) and urged us all to use creativity to build the future of this fine area!

So.... come to Garston.... just remember to bring your passport!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read all about this on Face Book as well. I think it's great. A good turn out too by the look of it. (And almost on your own doorstep Sarah).

Everything Stops for Tea said...

Hi Jenny! Yes - it really is!!! I'm on some of the photo's. I was involved in the parade as a 1950's style press photographer! - it was a brilliant day, the weather was gorgeous too!

Sandi McBride said...

Leaving for Garston post haste...bringing grits
hugs
Sandi

Magsy said...

Good advertising for Garston. Looks like you all had a great time. I'll be there next year, better late than never.

Papoosue said...

Looks brilliant! Where did I put me passport...

Angel Jem said...

I love it! My Mum always used to tease me about living in Scouser land and the scouse accent on the playground teaching my kids to talk proper, like(I have nothing against scousers, mind you, but the family is a gang of woolybacks who don't think too well of the city on some days) and I always told her that Childwall was an independant state! Now I know that Garston definitely is and I know that her local school has worse and more scouse accents than mine!

Stacey said...

I was watching Who Do You Think You Are last night and Griff Rhys Jones was on and apparently his great grandparents lived in Garston. Funny that the first time I should visit your blog it pops up again.
Seems the place has changed a lot since Griff's family were there.