Monday 18 June 2007

AFRICA OYE!!!!!!!

What a weekend we had!!! The Annual Africa Oye music festival on Sefton Park was on this last weekend. Always a brilliant event with lots of visitors from far and wide!




It was amazing, the company of friends and mbira players as well as the thousands of other people celebrating the fab weather and brilliant music from bands like Culture and Ska Cubano

Lots of dancing in Muddy Sefton park and fabulous Morrocan Food. There were great stalls where you could get anything from Jewelry to bags to African and South American art and clothes of all types.




This band had the oldest person on stage I think he was nearly 80 !!!


We played mbira in the park, I learned a new piece (which I now have to practice!!)Legs, hands and mbira courtesy of Eve!!! I really love the shells on hers!!

We all ended up very tired, mostly subburned and with very muddy feet!!!!
All in all a brilliant time, I hope that your weekend was as good!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved that African concert in Seffy Park.
I love African music. I will bring some of mine in August. I have the Soweto String Quartet They are brilliant, and Johnny Clegg. aka "The White Zulu"
Glad you had a great weekend. Weather here is pretty cold, so please save some warm sunshine for me in August!

Angel Jem said...

It looks good! Although, a little african weather would be appreciated.

shadows and clouds said...

that sounds like so much fun!!!! no african concerts here at the moment i'm afraid! how is your new tune coming along?

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

That sounds like loads of fun!! Shame we have to go back to work isn't it!!!

Papoosue said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic time Sarah, and the video is great, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time - I've always wanted to go to WOMAD, maybe next year!

Hope you're having an equally good week!